So I get this adorable email from adorable Tori Smith yesterday:
"Forwards generally make me barf.. but this one made me smile while I was barfing.
I love you ladies.
Written By Regina Brett of The PlainDealer, Cleveland , Ohio
'To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most-requested column I've ever written. My odometer rolls over to 90 in August, so here goes: "
As tori mentioned, I myself are not much of one for forwards, but by trusting her disclaimer, I actually read the damn thing. I guess being in Montreal right now for work ( just like that I have apparently become a jet setter) has made me reflect on a life quite a bit. The listed life lessons were nothing shy of inspiring, in spite of how obvious some were. I hope one day my lessons I can pass on are things I learned as I went, and not realized after the fact.
Here are my faves with my personal commentary.....
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
I mean, seriously. We only have one shot. (although today I had my palm read and apparently I have lived a past life or a double life or some shit??) I dunno. I guess I am just sick of sweating the small stuff. If every day is miserable for you and you can't even be sincere about a single moment of the day, what's the point? But that being said, why be miserable????
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
SERIOUSLY. Yeah, it relates to number one but COME ON GUYS. H8R FR3. There are only 2 people in the world which come close to being "hated" in my world but I also just don't give a shit about them at all so that is even better than energy wasting on hating.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
easier said than done, but boy does it feel good/do good.
11 . Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
aka, CLOSURE. Learn about it, work on it. the weight of the world will be lifted from your shoulders.
13. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
This one is soooo obvious but it is funny how no one thinks about it this way. it makes so much sense, doesn't it? we are individuals so it is irrelevant to live day by day to anyone else's expectations but your own.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
OHHHHHHHHHHH BUDDY. BURN!
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
DECLUTTER. Get rid of that shit and get more useful, beautiful and joyful things!
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
no duh. fuck man, i lost all my shit in the firey inferno, dealt with a really bummer relationship for the most pivotal years of my life (we are great friends now btw) and i am the strongest emotionally and mentally i have ever felt.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
In the infamous words of Cameron Bell which I constantly quote: "CHASE THAT SHIT....CHASE IT.".
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
This one is something I plan on embracing which i haven't thought of before. You're right- today IS special. Every day should be celebratory and worth honoring yourself and worth feeling sexy and beautiful and empowered.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
SERIOUSLY! would you rather be a crazy old lady or an awesome old artist??
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
I think Miranda from sex and the city is proof, even if she is just a character on tv.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
YEAH, SO STOP POINTING FINGERS.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
and it doesn't matter.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
"give time time." I like that.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
Totally. I would pick the dead battery in my car over my brother's crumpled hood any day.
42. The best is yet to come.
isn't that exciting?!?!!?!?!?!!!!!
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
yeah, maybe you're right. I do think that sometimes it is ok to cancel if you want a night to yourself (and you shouldn't feel bad about it) but yeah, the cuter feel/look the more likely you are to linger and love it and work it and in turn, enjoy it.
so there you have it. go live life the way you always wanted. xo